Oregon ProStart H.S. Culinary Championships
March 2, 2014 | Red Lion Hotel on the River - Jantzen Beach, Portland
Every spring ProStart students representing schools from around the state compete in the Oregon Prostart High School Culinary Championships presented by Boyds Coffee. The statewide event not only showcases the talent and enthusiasm of our future leaders in the industry, but also celebrates the hard work of students, teachers and mentors.
Industry members are encouraged to attend this free event and help celebrate the achievements of the students as well as the teachers. The competition challenges student teams of four to create a three-course meal in one hour, using only two butane burners. The results are always amazing with impressive skills and teamwork shown by these students.
Earlier this year, ProStart students representing 21 schools from around the state competed with Seaside High School's culinary team taking first and representing Oregon at the 2013 National ProStart Invitational. Read ORLA's press release.
2013 Boyds Coffee Culinary Cup Winners:
- First Place: Seaside High School
- Second Place: South Salem High School
- Third Place: Tualatin High School
- Fourth Place: Bend High School
- Fifth Place: McMinnville High School
2013 Category Awards:
- Best Knife Skills: North Eugene High School
- Best Poultry Fabrication: Seaside High School
- Best Overall Team Work: South Medford High School
2013 ProStart Awards:
- Student of the Year: Miko Umagat, McMinnville High School
- Inspirational Leader of the Year: Alan Joynson, Tillamook Co. Hospitality Program
- ProStart Mentor of the Year: Chris Van Dyke, Umpqua Community College
For more information on how you can participate or support this program, contact Wendy Popkin
, executive director, ORLA Education Foundation, at 503.682.4422.